[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
The RPG Thread - RONIN - RAGNAROS EU

The RPG Thread

The forum for the wider community of RONIN through other games and the internet!
Alothor

The RPG Thread

Postby Alothor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:24 pm

Since there seem to be a lot of people in this community who enjoy and care about RPG's I decided to make a thread dedicated to them, so we are not limited to discussing Dragon Age 2 :) .

For this year, as far as I am aware we are getting 3 more big treats in terms of RPG's.

The Witcher 2 in May. I enjoyed the first Witcher game, it was very complete in what it did, even though it may not have done as much as some other RPG's.

Skyrim on 11-11-11! If they have combined all the good from Morrowind, Oblivion and the lessons learned from Fallout 3, I see this being one of the best games ever. I don't like to overhype it in my own mind though, because that will not help.

Mass Effect 3. I am slightly afraid of the direction EA/Bioware is heading in, but in interviews it has been said Mass Effect 3 will be like 2, except with a bit more of the goodness from ME 1 back in, so richer RPG features for one thing. Looking very much forward to this, though I am slightly afraid it will not live up to the legacy of ME2.

Anything I missed? I am not a big Diablo fan by the way.
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Hik

Re: The RPG Thread

Postby Hik » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:12 am

yes you missed
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6JTvzrpBy0[/youtube]

Alothor

Postby Alothor » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:26 am

Ah yes, I hope that will be quite good too!
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Bört

Postby Bört » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:00 pm

I've never played a Deus Ex game... Just looking at them now puts me off, I dislike pixels and squareheads.

Other than the ones you mentioned: Darkspore (Spore meets diablo), Warhammer 40.000: Space Marine (Apparently it's an action RPG), Torchlight 2 and Fable 3 releasing for the PC soonish.

I'd guess we can expect several DLCs for Fallout: New Vegas and Dragon Age 2 as well.

Tjyvis

Postby Tjyvis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:23 pm

I just have to comment on Fable, DON'T BUY IT!
And if you do, be prepared for the awesome suckyness.
Feels about as open as Super Mario bros 3

Bört

Postby Bört » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:58 pm

A game doesn't have to be open to be good. A good story and progression system beats an open world any day. Sure exploring is nice but when developers are as lazy as they are these days you'll only find copy pasted terrain and the odd box with coin and a tin-can.
Not sure about Fable though, haven't touched the series since I beat the first one a couple of years ago.

Tjyvis

Postby Tjyvis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:18 pm

Of course I can appreciate a game that isn't open but Fable is supposwed to be branded a open big range rpg.
Not only is that quite the exaggeration it's also really poor combatwise and the story is pretty much made for 5 year olds.

Alothor

Postby Alothor » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:19 pm

Demonicon

Postby Demonicon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:48 pm

I think Hunted and Dungeon Siege 3 are also coming out this year.
Both are action RPG-s from the looks of it but they may be decent.

Shadowbeard

Postby Shadowbeard » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:03 am

I have the following problems with linear progression RPGs:
1) Your background is already chosen for you. In Dragon Age: Origins, you could choose between a few different races, but then you were forced to play through a predetermined prologue. As a human, your father was the leader of some city until he got betrayed and you had to flee. You couldn't be a country bumpkin or a blacksmith if you wanted to; only an aristocrat. In Mass Effect you were Commander Shepard, some kind of space soldier guy who became a Spectre.
2) It's nothing more than a mediocre movie with a few action sequences you have to play through between cutscenes. The story might be great, and the graphics are usually top notch, but once you've played through it once it hardly makes sense to have another go at it. Any choices you make along the way have limited impact on what's actually going to happen. I played through Mass Effect 2 as both Paragon and Renegade, and in the end it made no difference.
3) The world is much smaller than in open world RPGs. I guess I'm like Spoisen in that regard. I enjoy running around exploring or doing a dungeon or two. I don't care if the textures are reused, it still entertains me. If I'm playing a singleplayer FPS or an RTS, not being able to do any of those things won't bother me, but when I decide to play an RPG, I don't want to mindlessly follow objectives.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “General Gaming”