[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Guild Wars 2 - RONIN - RAGNAROS EU

Guild Wars 2

The forum for the wider community of RONIN through other games and the internet!
Hik

Guild Wars 2

Postby Hik » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Since there isn't one here, may aswell get it circulating.

I don't really know where to start, but I've not looked forward to a game before as much as I have GW2. It's been in production for quite a few years now, and from the game play videos I've watched, and all the information I've read, it really does seem amazing. I won't spend ages going over every detail that I think is fantastic about it, but I will point out a few things that are a really big factor into what will most likely make this game such a great title.

1.Free To Play/ Buy To Play - Unlike almost all AAA MMOs out there ( WoW, Aion, Rift and the up coming SW:ToR ) There is NO subscription fee for Guild Wars 2. It's a 1 time buy, like you would any other non-MMO game. Now alot of people will think this is a bad thing, will lead to bad production quality and poor maintenance, this is far from the case, and instead of me explaining I will link a video explaining the idea behind it;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns-IIn-DG-c[/youtube]

2. Dynamic Combat - This is something very unique in an MMO, and something that only recent technology has really been able to handle on a mass scale. The general Idea behind Dynamic combat is that it's not simply a matter of targetting the enemy, and taking turns whacking each other with the loser being the first to hit 0 health. GW2's combat revolves a lot around dodging/blocking skills, which all classes are capable of doing. Also each class has plenty of weapons they can use, which each have different abilities. Take for example the Guardian profession, He can be a ranged caster with ranged crowd control and damage with a staff or wand/off hand, or he can go face to face with his enemies with the great sword or axe and have melee oriented damage and crowd control skills. Here's a video that explains a little bit more about the combat, and also touches on the next subject aswell.;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frxE99_qRfI[/youtube]

3. "The Holy Trinity" - For years, the holy trinity has been the major mechanic behind almost every boss encounter in MMOs. Tanks are the ones who take the damage, healers are the ones who reverse that, and the damage dealers are the sheer power that bring the boss down. Guild Wars 2 removes the holy trinity, theres no set roles that each class does better. Mostly players will be very much independant when it comes to staying alive on a boss encounter. Each profession has its own way to heal themselves, which is relevant to their class ( A Thief will vanish for a short period and heal instantly, whereas an elementalist can heal himself with a cast which will also buff him based on which element he is using ). This doesn't mean there isn't team work involved either, each class also has buffs and supporting abilities to help your allies. Take the guardian for example again, he can literally place down an entire bubble ( Similar to Power Word:Barrier style ) Which will deflect all projectiles trying to attack into it. He can also draw a circle around himself, or place a wall down that enemies cant pass through, which can be used defensively ( Blocking enemies reaching your allies, giving them chance to recouperate ) or Offensively ( Trapping enemies in, making them unable to run away ).

A video explaining the advantages of not having the holy trinity.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xGDL6QVL-8[/youtube]

Now there is a lot more to GW2 that makes it unique and interesting, however I'm not going to bother making a whole thread when there may be nobody interested. I've posted this video in another thread before, but I feel it deserves to be reposted in this thread. It gives good compelling arguments for why you should at least be interested, on top of the 3 I've mentioned.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs[/youtube]

If anybody else is planning on playing ( There isn't a release date yet, ANet do not want this game to be released until they're 100% sure it's finished, its not even in beta yet ) then just say here, there could be things to discuss :D.
Last edited by Hik on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chise

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Chise » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:16 am

Nice summary. :)

I feel similar about Guild Wars, I'm not super-excited maybe, but I'll definitely buy it. It looks very impressive so far and the concept to ditch the holy trinity is quite unique/cool.

The reason I'm not super excited about it is that I recently beta-tested a pretty awesome MMO called Tera Online. What's neat about Tera is the free-targeting combat system. I realize Guild Wars is going for something similar, but then they also have the wow-type of targetingspells, so it is sort of a hybrid. Tera has none of that, you either need to aim, position yourself or lock-on for every single spell/ability/attack in the game.
What else is the fact that in Tera you can avoid almost all damage, monsters you face at low level do insanely slow animations and are easily dodged, but once you increase in level, attacks become more faster/varied and thus more difficult to avoid.

I'm not going to play TERA though, as it is going to be a subscriptionbased MMO, and I'm definitely done with those.
But I'd love to see more MMO's in the future using the same type of combat system. Guild Wars 2 is nearly there, but I just can't help it now, once I've got a taste of real free action-based MMO, any kind of targeting/autoaim attacks just feel cheap and boring.

Nevertheless, I'll give GW2 a try for the overall experience, which looks very promising.

Hik

Postby Hik » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:15 am

Yeah Tera is another MMO i'm really hyped for. You're lucky to have beta tested! Jealous :(

Tera's combat isn't new though, its essentially the same as quite a few eastern MMOs, such as Dragon Nest. Guild Wars 2 is essentially a merge between the Tera style combat, and WoW's targetted combat, as you said.

On the terms of F2P MMOs, since you're not a retard and disregard any game as soon as you see its anime like half my friends do, you should try Rusty Hearts, thats a F2P Hack n Slash RPG, it's not in the same style as Tera exactly, and it's actually designed mostly for playing on a gamepad, but it's quite nicely polished, with both fun PvP and dungeon crawling. It's only in Open Beta atm so theres only 3 classes avaliable, but they all branch off into weapon specializations making them different at the higher levels.

If you're interested it's on steam, or you can just go to to signup. I played the closed beta and really enjoyed it, especially the PvP, as it's very combo-skill based, and it feels rewarding to execute a perfect combo on your enemy without letting them move ( Might sound silly, but trust me, it really isn't easy to pull of in PvP )

Chise

Postby Chise » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:21 am

Hehe, interestingly enough, I've been on the beta for both DragonNest and Rusty Hearts. :P Tested them for a couple of days each of playing. DragonNest is definitely my favorite of the two, because the spamabilty of all your spells/abilities. You feel quite in control and the combat just flows very nicely. It's actually in some ways even more enjoyable than Tera combat. Tera can have some frustrating slow animations sometimes, that could make you miss a moving target quite often.

So yea, you're right, they're absolutely my kind of combat-styled MMO's. But the problem I got with them is the fact that they're not open world. It's the same with Vindictus too, so much zoning/instanced areas which makes it feel so much like a single-player game. That has its benefits of course but I just love the open worlds in MMO, that's what make them epic.

That's why Tera was so much fun. Also the fact that Tera is like a true Triple A title, it has awesome graphics, it has lore, so much detail and polish. DragonNest and Rusty Hearts feels too arcadey and just hasn't got the same depth to them. Vindictus got pretty good graphics tbh but the non-open world is just something I can't be without if I'll ever commit to a MMO again. :)

I think Korean MMO's in the future will pretty much all be like Tera, that's what it seems like right now at least. Which is positive, but those conversions to EU/NA just take too long. Just have to hope for the western MMO-scene to adapt to this same style of MMO's.

Guild Wars 2 is definitely a step in the right direction though. SWTOR on the other hand is a step back in my opinion, as awesome the writing/story might be, that's how I feel.

Btw, heard of this one? http://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/ I signed up for beta because well, I tend to sign up to everything, just in case. ;P I got no clue what kind of combat-system it has though. It has an awesome cinematic trailer though. They put a lot of money into that trailer, as an aspiring 3d artist I notice how much work they put into that. :P

Hik

Postby Hik » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Yes, I remember watching TB's lets play of wild star;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBEkHvLTOSU[/youtube]

The combat is very similar to that of guild wars 2, however I think guild war's will be alot more polished and has the whole dynamic world.

Something that I don't mind but I feel should try to be avoided is that each class is gender/race/appearance locked, so every spellslinger will be that human dude, a few games do this and it's a little dissapointing.

Chise

Postby Chise » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:20 pm

Yea, just like Rusty Hearts. I kind of hate that really, an MMO should have as much customization as humanly possible, I honestly think there can't be too much. Tera had A LOT of customization and I probably spent an hour making my character(s). Guild Wars 2 seems to have a decent amount as well, not quite as much as Tera but enough to make your character unique at least.

In Guild Wars 2 I'm leaning towards the "leaf-people" at the moment, female of course. :D Necromancer reminded me of warlock a lot (which I loved in WoW), so unless it's a totally gimped class, I'll go with that. Otherwise I'll probably go with Guardian as it seems to be a very useful class to have around.

Hik

Postby Hik » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:27 pm

Heh, I'm tied between an Asura or a Norn, thief of course.

Bört

Postby Bört » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:12 pm

Very nice summary Hik! Good work!

I'm quite unsure what I think of GW2. It's a massive task they have taken upon them selves trying to get of both the standardized combat systems and the holy trinity.
The whole combat system screams AGE OF CONAN to me, which was fine and dandy as long as you were a melee character, switch to a caster and you were both gimped and bored. In the top 10 video he mentioned that ranged will be a lot about positioning, like stand upon a cliff and drop fireballs? How's that any different from earlier MMOs? I know I sound quite pessimistic but I really can't think of a 'good' way to handle casting while avoiding the same combat system that has been in use for the past decade.

About the Holy trinity removal, it's going to be a hideous pain in the ass to balance around both PvE and PvP. So you're a warrior that can heal your self, take a shitload of punishment and wear heavy plate mail? Then what is the point of running around as a caster or rogue that can do pretty much the same things but not wear that bucket of bolts? >speculation warning!(I'm just assuming how they could handle stuff!)< So rogues can deal more damage faster or be more nimble? Caster# can set things on fire and watch them melt slowly? That's just renaming the Trinity really.

And finally, I can't bring my self to like the art-style :)
I've never liked games that subscribe to the more Asian look and those tiny creatures that look like a mix of ewoks and gnomes makes me want to punch babies. That said the scale looks awesomely epic and the nature looks sweet!

Slightly offtopic:
During one of the vids by that Alexridiculous person he mentioned that in the old days he was able to do multiple things with his paladin or what not to help out during the fights. I really miss that... I loved being a real, useful warlock and not some damn field cannon. BRING BACK SUPPORT CLASSES!

Hik

Postby Hik » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:14 am

Well TB has some PvP footage for both Thief and Elementalist aswell as Engineer and Ranger in the same video, which i'll link below. Something you have to recognise is that no class is forced to be ranged/melee. They all have numerous weapons, and theres no downside to the being melee or ranged, the only advantage of going melee really is to make dodging shit easier, or if you generally prefer that style of gameplay. Each class can fend for themselves just as well as the other, however they handle certain situations differently, and support each other differently. If you go to the official guild wars 2 website; - and check out the profession pages, you can see a preview of some of each profession's signature skills. Something else that also keeps caster's viable vs the whole melee class, is that you can move and cast, you don't have to stand still to cast your spell. This keeps to the theme that GW2's combat is based heavily around movement/dodging/blocking etc.

Something I really like about the Battle of Kyhlo ( The "Battleground" that was available to play in the TB videos below ) Is the destructible environments, I think that's again something really new and fun in an MMO, only place you really see that being done well in other games out there is battlefield.

Here's the PvP vids I mentioned, just remember it's Total Biscuit playing, whos a fucking infuriating scrub at every game imaginable.

Also remember this is PRE-ALPHA gameplay.

Engineer and Ranger (TB getting raped by elementalist when he's playing ranger :D):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvHV7HB2BDc[/youtube]

Thief:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJC28DUQcZs[/youtube]

Elementalist:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8rv7_JD5Ic[/youtube]

Alothor

Postby Alothor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:49 am

How is it going to be story/lore/world-wise? Because that's one of the main reasons TOR attracts me and also one of the reasons I got tired of Guild Wars 1 very quickly, it just seemed a mess.
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “General Gaming”