[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
The Division - Page 2 - RONIN - RAGNAROS EU

The Division

The forum for the wider community of RONIN through other games and the internet!
Alothor

Re: The Division

Postby Alothor » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:00 pm

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Jaedan

Postby Jaedan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:07 pm

I'm in the beta that starts on the 29th, I'll let you guys know my impressions!
AKA Thordelar

Hèlen

Postby Hèlen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:09 pm

I just started playing some Blade and Soul (released f2p today), and so far its actually nice, if you can look past the insane hentai boobies from most characters :p
"Farewell, mortals. Your bravery is admirable, for such flawed creatures."

Jaedan

Postby Jaedan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:52 am

AKA Thordelar

Hèlen

Postby Hèlen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:48 pm

Haha yeah you got me!! But nah, i actually made my char somewhat realistic (for a fantasy game). But the combat style and looks of the game are really nice.
"Farewell, mortals. Your bravery is admirable, for such flawed creatures."

Jaedan

Postby Jaedan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:02 pm

If anyone's actually interested in trying out the beta this weekend, you can get a key (no strings! don't need Nvidia hardware or anything) here for any platform

edit: looks like they're having trouble or have possibly ran out of keys - lots of reports of people showing that it's expired, others are saying they eventually get through but the key is invalid. YMMV, up to you how long you try for!
AKA Thordelar

Bört

Postby Bört » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:52 pm

Got a key thanks to JJ yesterday.
Had a go at the game today and I've got to say I'm pleasantly surprised.
It feels very optimized, I didn't run into _any_ of the usual issues that appear when running a game at 5670x1080.
Just that fact makes the game way better than most releases this past year.

Had a quick go at the Dark Zone gameplay for about an hour and that bit seems very interesting. It's kinda terrifying going solo in there. It's sort of FFA but you can group up to get a better chance at loot and stuffs. The scary bit is that all players seem 'neutral' until they shoot at someone, at that point they go rogue and are clearly marked compared to other players. Oh and you drop all your dark zone loot if you go down.

On top of all that it's a pretty game, I really liked the snow effects. Like actual properly working fucking snow!

Jaedan

Postby Jaedan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:07 pm

Yeah, it's a purchase from me based on the beta (helps that I've found a keysite that sells it for €33.90!), I dunno if I'll play it for long, but what little I've seen of the story and setting looks interesting and the Darkzone is fun and intense if I want to take it further than that.

I like what they've done with 'instances' too, if that's what you'd call the Madison Square Garden quest. Tried it a few times, first solo on normal difficulty, then did it again later on hard with a group and it was MUCH tougher, then after that I did it AGAIN on hard but alone, and it was somewhere in the middle. The fact that it scaled based on the number of players was pretty cool, and the matchmaking seems to work quite well for it as well.

It helps that I love exploring in games like this, though if you're the type that wants constant action I'd probably give it a miss as it tries to take a 'realistic' approach to the volume and frequency of enemy NPCs - aside from events, you'll usually find 2 or 3 thugs scavenging a car or body or holding someone up every few hundred meters though I'm pretty sure the distance is 1:1 scale, it takes a good while to run a few hundred meters!

How would I describe the gameplay though?

I'd say the combat is most like Mass Effect 2 or 3, fairly simple cover shooter with some RPG abilities to round it off a bit.
In terms of atmosphere, I dunno - feels like (an obviously heavily urbanized) Stalker, particularly in the Dark Zone due to the danger.

All in all, pretty impressed!
AKA Thordelar

Spoisen

Postby Spoisen » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:25 pm

I'm afraid I had a pretty poor first impression of The Division. I went in with no expectation whatsoever and was somewhat disappointed.
It felt like a lesser version of everything, for the sake of making it an "MMO".

Instead of me droning on about it, I'll describe what happened:
Going down a side-alley I encountered a couple of hooded "thugs" just standing around. They indicated as enemies on my scan-thingy, so I opened fire - or, well nothing happened when I left-clicked so they spotted me and killed me before I got away.
I figured that must have been a bug in the beta, so I respawned and ran all the way back to them. This time I was ready, I had already scared a lady on the street by firing towards her, checking the left mouse-button actually worked. I go back to the hooded thugs and surprise them as I know exactly where they are this time. I open fire on the one with a name like "Nicky" or something. I empty my M4 in him, and he only looks mildly perturbed. He then kills me in 5-7 shots...
The loading screen as I respawn mention something about this game being a cover-based shooter, so I figure I'll have to be more careful. I go back to the guys, and initiate a long firefight around an area with a lot of walled off areas along a path (thin metal fences in front of houses). These fences are crap for cover, as I could not fire around them to hit the guys on the path parallel to them. After having expended 5 magazines towards the named one of the two he finally goes down and the other shortly after.
So - I shot 5 x 5.56mm 30-round-magazines out of an M4 towards a guy IN A HOODIE and after hitting him with at least a third of the shots only then does he go down.

Here's the deal. If I'm fighting an alien and I have to shoot at it a lot before it dies, that's fine. A kind of supersoldier, yep. A vehicle, of course. A monster, cool. A robot, absolutely. Maybe I'm using magic against an elf, I don't know how magic works so I play along. Maybe I'm in close combat with swords causing a lot of strafing wounds like in fights from movies. MAYBE a really armored looking military guy could take a lot of rounds before going down, BUT A FUCKING KID IN A HOODIE REQUIRING OVER 50 ROUNDS OF 5.56 IN HIS CHEST TO DIE IS NOT IN ANY WAY LOGICAL OR REASONABLE!

I will add that in general I hate "bullet-sponges" in games. Like in borderlands and Battlefield on normal mode. If I hit a relatively normal person with rifle, he needs to die pretty quickly or I'm annoyed. The division just takes the cake here. It is just being ridiculous.

Also, before you say "oh but the cool stuff comes later on", I will add that I did play quite a bit afterwards. The locations seemed entirely similar and uninteresting. The enemies were always "spongy" and same-y and nothing I encountered made me think "oh cool!" - except perhaps for the map.

I am absolutely certain that I "just got a bad start" here, but that doesn't mean it's any less disappointing. Maybe if things had gone more smoothly I'd have different thoughts about the game but well, they didn't :)

Rant over! :D

Jaedan

Postby Jaedan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:02 pm

That's a shame. I can appreciate where you're coming from with the bullet sponge stuff.

That's always going to be difficult with a shooter that has RPG mechanics, especially one that has a 'realistic setting' as you say - they have to come up with something that deals with the "what's the point in gear if everything dies the same anyway" question and adding HP to enemies is the only answer I can think of.
At least with this game, the 'actual' health of the enemies is always fairly small but it's the armour that you have to get through before hand.
Elites and named NPCs always have more armour though and at the end of the day it's just a different visual cue to their overall health, so that's where we land and as far as I know there aren't any weapons that bypass armour in any way at all.

The damage curve is definitely weird though, now I've had chance to get up to level 8 in the beta and have had a chance to optimize some of my gear, I've got loads more HP, do more damage and have more powerful abilities. This is where I think the game will do quite well because you can really build a character, if you wanted, that would create the gameplay you want - I've seen screenshots of people whose characters do >8,000 DPS but only have just over 1k HP - to that player, The Division would have been like playing BF4 on Hardcore!

The beta has been extended and I might be on this evening a bit, so if you're around perhaps you might like to have a go at some stuff together?
AKA Thordelar

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “General Gaming”